Art Awards open to New Zealand Artists
Adam Portraiture Award - The Adam Foundation sponsors this biennial award for portraiture
CoCA Anthony Harper Contemporary Art Award -
Fieldays No. 8 Wire National Art Award – based on sculpture created using number 8 fencing wire.
National Woman's Work Art Exhibition – a show just for woman held in Gisborne each year
New Zealand Affordable Art Show – a huge extravaganza art show in Wellington featuring over 500 artist each year. Very popular with artists and the buying public.
New Zealand Painting and Printmaking Award – Held in the Waikato but open to all New Zealand artists.
Olivia Spencer Bower Award - The late Olivia Spencer Bower set up the Foundation bearing her name to give financial assistance to artists or sculptors showing promise.
One Size Fits All Art Competition – an exhibition based on artworks from artists all over New Zealand with the only theme being the canvas size.
Original Art Sale – Auckland based show similar to the Affordable Art Show in Wellington.
Taranaki Art Awards - an intimate, creative annual art review and the appreciation of local New Zealand artists, the coastal Taranaki village, Opunake.
Waimarino Art Awards
Trust Waikato National Contemporary Art Award – conceptual artwork and really really contemporary stuff.
Wai Art Awards – based in the Wairarapa, this award is open to all New Zealanders
Wai Art Portrait Awards – as above
Waiheke Design MakeAward - Waiheke Community Art Gallery hosts this national design award exhibition .
Wallace Art Awards – a contemporary art award with scholarship prizes
Yellow Pages Group Art Awards – open to all New Zealand artists, the winning works are featured on the cover of the phone book for each region.
Many artists feel isolated, even more so in NZ communities where art movements are often underground and hard to find. Here are some places to go for more information and support on art related things specific to kiwi artists.
- ARMS - Helping Artists Help Themselves – This site is for visual artists, designers, musicians, performers, writers, craftspeople - anyone who wants to make a long-term sustainable living from their creative endeavour. It's also for other people and businesses in the arts/creative industries.
- Artists Alliance - Artists Alliance is a membership based organisation established in 1991 to represent and advance the professional interests of the visual artists of Aotearoa/New Zealand.
- Arts Biz Ltd – arts business help for artists, mainly based in the Waikato region.
- Creative New Zealand - Creative New Zealand is the national agency for the development of the arts in New Zealand
- Fuel For Arts - providing artists of all nations and backgrounds with collaboration and creative exchange
- NZ Art Monthly - It is reader contributions that give nzmonthly its variety, relevance, its character and its appeal.
- The Arts Channel – Sky TV supports local artists
- The Big Idea – New Zealand Government based art resource. This site has jobs and listings for exhibitions as well as a wealth of information for local artists.
- Arts Councils – I’ve not included all the links for this one as each region has its own council which can be found listed in your local phone book or try googling them. Here is my local one Hamilton Community Art Council
All in all, there is a lot of support out there, you just have to look for it.